Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Tower

More about the Tower. I was in history nerd nirvana. For those of you who really know me, you know that I like history... but I LOVE English history. I've been reading "A History of Britain" by Rebecca Fraser as preparation for the trip. Sadly, I only made it up to Edward III before we left the States. The Tower was a completely spiritual experience for me. As Emma said, we started with the guided Yeoman Warder ("Beefeaters") tour. The Beefeaters are all retired from the British Armed Forces, and technically they are still charged with looking after any prisoners at the Tower and guarding the crown jewels. In reality, the Tower doesn't actually function as a prison anymore (I think the last prisoner was held there in the 1940s), and I think there are actual comissioned soldiers there for the jewels.


Anyway, the tour was completely fascinating, every aspect had meaning for me:

The Bloody Tower where the Young Princes may or may not have been murdered by their uncle Richard III

The Queen's House, built by Henry VIII as a gift for Anne Boleyn, but only inhabited by her as she awaited her execution. Also inhabited by Henry's 5th wife Catherine Howard as she awaited her execution, and Lady Jane Grey as she awaited her execution.

Some of the graffiti carved in the stone inside the Beauchamp Tower. This says "Jane" and was probably not carved by Lady Jane herself (who was not imprisoned in this tower) but by one of her supporters.

In the Medieval Palace, a plaque marking the spot where Henry VI was stabbed to death during the Wars of the Roses.

The White Tour, built by William the Conqueror in 1067 after the Norman conquest.

The legend of the ravens. Ravens have been kept at the Tower for centuries. The legend is that if the ravens no longer inhabit the Tower, the White Tower will crumble and the monarchy will fall.

St Peter ad Vincula. The chapel at the Tower housing the remains of many of the famous people who were executed inside the confines of the Tower. Anne Boleyn and her father and brother, Jane Gray and her father, John Dudley the Duke of Northumberland, Sir Thomas More... etc. I will admit to getting a little emotional and tearing up while in the chapel. (No photos allowed inside)


The Traitor's Gate


~Lizzie~

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Okay, now I think I want to go to Europe, beginning with England. Ever had a sales position before? 'Cuz I'm sold. Nice pictures, too! I can't even imagine what you must have felt snapping those. Tears are understandable.

Anonymous said...

I am overjoyed at how much you are enjoying English history! I can hardly wait for France!