Tuesday, March 10, 2009

BOEUF!

I won't take the happy stance like Lizzie. I think I'm going to lie low and get excited when the public isn't around. This is the time when I get all serious about the trip. This is when I hunker down and immerse myself in my trip. I've been listening to Rick Steves, throwing notes in my little commonplace book, trying out random French in the car... buying scads of items and then packing them safely away.

Foux de Fa Fa. All my French language will come from that song.

As the days have been going by at work, I've been thinking... "This is my last Monday and then I'll be on a plane." Today, my thought was "Geebus... it's going to be midnight in London at this time next week!". Yes... I am having my senioritis moment. My spring break fever.... my... get out of my job and away from the public -fits of excitement.

One of the best things I've heard was Rick Steve interviewing David Sedaris. I was at work shelving and I was laughing my ass off. There's nothing more adoreable than listening to 2 white guys bust out in Japanese. The thing that inspired me the most was the fact that DS lives in Paris and he named some places that he would take his friends when they came to visit him. He talked about how his people watching made him a better writer and more observant to things that others wouldn't normally pay attention to.

I hope I can do that on this trip. I want to, not only experience the cities... but also enjoy that experience through the people and the culture. I can't wait!

xoxo
Emma

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope all your French doesn't come from Foux du Fa Fa, or we'll spend the 3 days in Paris asking where the library is and talking about Gerard Depardieu.

~Lizzie~

Library Girls Travel said...

That's okay by me. I'll spend some time eating boeuf at the discoteque and looking for the pool. I'll do this on the day you're at DLP so you don't have to experience my shame. ;)

-Emma