Thursday, March 12, 2009

Paris in Springtime

And so it starts...my love affair with Paris will be become a reality.

It's been hard not to keep my mind from venturing away to gorgeous city parks, charming streets lined with cafes and children speaking French in little voices. I've started to lay out plans of my free day sans Lizzie. These plans include: Sainte Chapelle, Musee d'Orsay, Cemetery of Père Lachaise, Musee Rodin and the Centre Pompidou. I plan on starting early morning... say... 7 AM. I love to enjoy cities in the early morning. There's something about watching a city wake up, it's so intimate. Much like watching a lover sleep. It's mysterious, lovely and very telling.

There's a 3 mile walk that will take me around Historic Paris. I've been reading and studying on the things I'll do, and that will knock out a couple things on my list. The walk will take me back around to my hotel. I'll catch the Metro and with luck, I can be at the Cemetary by about 1 PM. I'll be there for a while.

Why the Cemetary? For me it's being close to people I've read about, read works by... listened to. It's an opportunity to honor the people who once lived on this earth, famous or not. And, not surprisingly... it's quiet. In Paris, I'll be lucky to see the final resting place for Chopin, Blazac, Bizet, Proust... and of course Jim Morrison.

Savannah's Bonaventure Cemetary is gorgeous in the morning. There are eerie willows that drape and sway in the morning and line the way towards the river that hugs the East side of the cemetary. If you ever go to Savannah, go there in the morning. It's beautiful. Also... bring some mosquito repellent. There are some crazy ones that fly around!

I hope to have a lot to write about. My best trips are the ones where I'm able to people watch, write and reflect. I've heard that Paris can change a person. Well... I think I heard that on The Hills... but I think, like all travel, it will change me. I hope this experience will help me to be the person I know I was meant to be: a great mom, a good friend and an all together decent human being. The journey has already begun....

xoxo
Emma

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmmm. Here's hoping a Paris trip is not a manditory part of becoming a good human being! If so, I may never arrive...

Library Girls Travel said...

It's not manditory to becoming a good human being, but it gives one an insight on things that are inherently good in the world.

Travel, no matter where you go, will change you. The best parts of you will come out :)

Anonymous said...

Library Girl sounds like a fortune cookie. hehe

avitania said...

The Pere Lechaise is amazing, but since you're in the area, check out the Catacombs, too! So interesting.

Library Girls Travel said...

I really want to do the Catacombs! :D I love things like that. Thank you for the tip from Puerto Vallarta! Bon Voyage to you and C!