Monday, March 23, 2009

Solo day/Lizzie

Today, our last day in the UK, Emma and I went our separate ways. While she stayed here in London, I went for a day trip to Windsor. I'll let her tell about her adventures. For my part, I had the most amazing day.

After a week in London, I felt very confident going off on my own. The transportation system here is fantastic. Once you get used to it, you feel like you can go anywhere. (Thanks to Lloyd for that bit of advice, and the maps-- we're wearing out the bus map you gave us). So I took the tube back to Waterloo Station, and then a train out to Windsor. Let me just say that the town of Windsor is (so far) the most adorable town I've ever seen. Tiny shops and restaurants line the street that winds around the base of the Castle, which completely dominates the landscape. I'm always worried that I'll have trouble finding the attraction once I get off the tube/train. Mostly I haven't had that problem (with the glaring exception of the British Museum). With Hampton Court and Windsor Castle, you see them as soon as you alight from the train.

I had very spiritual experiences at the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey. I was fascinated by Hampton Court. But I think that Windsor Castle was my favorite. It is the largest and oldest continually inhabited royal palace in the world. Unlike Hampton Court, which ceased to be an inhabited palace centuries ago, Windsor is one of the Queen's main residences (along with Buckingham Palace and Balmoral). In fact, when I approached the Castle I noticed that the royal standard was flying over the Round Tower, indicating that the Queen was in residence today.

Like the Tower of London , Windsor was initially built by William the Conqueror following the Norman Invasion of 1066. It has been continuously added to and improved upon by various monarchs over the centuries, but unlike Hampton Court it doesn't look like a mash-up of architectural styles. The Chapel of St George is like a miniature version of Westminster Abbey, and next to Wesminster has the greatest number of royal tombs including most of the Georges, and a (surprisingly) simple stone slab on the floor marking the resting place of King Henry VIII, his favorite wife, Jane Seymour, and King Charles I (with, I'm assuming, his head).

The state apartments are fascinating. I realize that not everyone is as interested-- some would say obsessed-- with the monarchy as I am, but it was very cool to be standing in the same rooms that are used by the Queen for state functions. Speaking of my royal obsession, I'm such a nerd that I actually purchased a "Magnetic Monarchs" set at one of the gift shops. Yes, little magnets of each monarch for me to put on my fridge.

After leaving the Castle. I stopped at an adorable little restaurant in Windsor called the Crooked House of Windsor for afternoon tea. (If you want to know why it's called that, see the photo). In a completely surreal moment, I sat there drinking tea and eating scones while the "Pulp Fiction" soundtrack played on the sound system (??!!) I couldn't help thinking how bizarre it was to nosh on finger sandwiches and think about Zed bringing out The Gimp.

After tea I encountered the only bad weather of the whole trip, so far. It poured. So I decided to call it a day, and made my way back to the train station. The weather cleared up by the time I got back to London, so I made one more trip around Westminster to hear Big Ben toll.

I felt tremendously independent, traveling by myself. If it weren't for the fact that we have to get up before dawn tomorrow to head out for France, I would stay up writing more. But I must off to bed.

~Lizzie~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go, Lizzie....off on your own. I am so impressed. Windsor does look like an enchanting place, and so glad you got to see it. But I'm waiting (on pins and needles, as it were) to hear about your experiences in Paris. Whoo-hoo. Be safe, have fun...and don't forget the loo in the Ritz Carlton. Trust me! xoxo Cassie