Saturday, July 11, 2009

Straight Girls, Gay Pride

As aforementioned by Lizzie, we went to the Gay Pride Parade a couple weekends ago. What an amazing experience to be surrounded by so much love. Thank goodness I was wearing sunglasses... because I actually did tear up because the vibe was beautiful.

Nick and Taylor stayed the night at my place. We had intended on making shirts. But... being the old codger driver, I faded quickly. As a group, we managed to polish off 2 bags of beef jerky. BOEUF!!

We were able to get a nice early start for the 11 AM start time for the parade. I'm usually the driver when it comes to the Bay Area. I'm the one who enjoys the challenge of getting lost and (eventually) found in the City. The morning was beautiful. Compared to the heat of our town, the respite of San Francisco's crisp breeze was a welcome break.

Let me mention...I had never been to Pride, so I was excited to see hot gay men and drag queens (aren't we all?). Unfortunately, one of the first things I saw was a fully naked man at the Nudist booth. *gah*

I won't go too much into the parade, as Lizzie has covered it well, but the parade was LONG. Everybody had a float. Sometimes no float and people walking with signs. Highlights of said groups: Virgin America Airlines, Diesel, Anti-Circumcism, and Jews for Gays... and no, the last 2 groups marched nowhere near one another. As Lizzie mentioned we saw *swoon* Gavin Newsom. He's dreamy. He also touched Lizzie's hand. All I got to see was a blue, naked indian with a small dingle.

While waiting for the parade, Nick had pointed out some people sitting on the Port-O-Lets. He said "Damn, people shouldn't be sitting on that! What if it breaks or something?" Sure enough... about 4 hours later... one did. There was loud CRACK sound and when we turned around, some guy was trying to hold himself up with his arms to avoid falling knee high in waste. People were laughing and pointing. Lizzie and I were amazed. We don't see that kind of thing here (though... there are times that people certainly smell that way). The guy eventually fell in. When he stumbled out of the cubicle, people were laughing and pointing. He was shirtless and you could see where he got some bad plastic burn from the fall.

It's a shame I didn't get more pictures. There were some characters out in force that day and it would've been awesome to show them here! For now, I'm content with the experience I had. Will I go again? Umm... only if I had an umbrella. I got a sash tan from my shoulder bag.

:)

xoxo
Emma

No comments: