Friday, July 10, 2009

Long time, no blog (part one)

I don't know if this is a sign of aging, or not-- but it seems like every time I do something fun it takes me a week or so to recover.

Lame.

The last three weeks have been filled with fun excursions and entertainment, and I'm exhausted! I may spend this whole weekend napping. So this is the first of three belated blog entries to catch up.

SF Pride Day
June 28 Emma, Nick, Taylor & I headed to San Francisco to witness the spectacle that is the Gay Pride Parade. Now, I'm not a big fan of parades. Watching people walk down the street waving is not my idea of fun. In fact, when parade time comes around at Disneyland, I think that's prime attraction-riding time. The only parade I never miss is the Main Street Electrical Parade. But this was Nick's SF Pride Debut, and I'm always game for having a new travel experience. That, and I figured there would be many interesting sights at this parade. I expected assless chaps and drag queens galore.

We secured a decent, but not perfect, spot along the barricade near the end of the parade route (which means we waited a looooong time for the parade to reach us). We coveted a spot on the other side of the street, but the SFPD had blocked off our path, so we looked longingly at the folks on the shady side of the street. Yes, we were in full sun. Fortunately I had sunblock in my purse. Unfortunately, it was only SPF 30... so we all got sunburned anyway. Poor Emma was wearing her bag slung across her chest, and ended up looking like Miss America fell asleep in the tanning booth with her sash still on ;)

The Pride Parade takes forEVER. First were the Dykes on Bikes (topless lesbians, ahoy!), then the Mikes on Bikes (assless chaps!), and eventually the Tykes on Bikes (awwwww). Then it was like 2 hours of people walking, holding signs and waving. There was a serious lack of drag queens, which was kind of disappointing. And the lesbian girls on my left were pissing me off by continuously blowing weed smoke in my face. Nasty.

Many floats were playing Michael Jackson music, which got a roar from the crowd, and then the news started to go around that Billy Mays had died. I got a text from my mom that Willie Mays had died. Thank goodness I knew she was wrong.

But the BEST part of my day was getting a high five from S.F. Mayor Gavin Newsom. OMG, he is just dreamy. I would vote for him for governor just to watch press conferences with little hearts in my eyes.

The other best part of my morning was getting a rocket pop from the Mexican ice cream push cart guy-- and, no, that is NOT a euphemism. And there was a guy walking through the crowd wearing a Native American headdress... and nothing else.... and he was painted blue from head to toe...including his dingle. Sadly, he was not good looking, and I am not posting pics here.


After the parade ended we headed for lunch. Emma and I are fans of "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" on the Food Network, and we have a deal to try to visit as many of the local establishments that have been featured on DDD as possible. We've already been to Taylor's Automatic Refresher at the Ferry Building. This day saw us at the Grubstake Diner, which is inside an old train car, and features burgers and Portuguese food. The garlic bread and linguica was delish. I ordered a burger and fries, which were decent.

The rest of our day in the City was spent shopping, and I think that by the time we got home we were all pretty spent, even the young 'uns.

Enjoy the photos,

~Lizzie~

Nick










He, he










*swoon*










Frau Blucher!










Ye-ah!










Drag queens

No comments: