Sunday, March 20, 2011

Gratitude above all things...

It's always at the end of vacation, on the way back home, when I really being to digest the trip as a whole. This trip was the right amount of excitement, relaxation, insanity and fun. Since Lizzie and I became friends, I have realized just how lucky I was to find the best travel friend ever. While Scout is the best travel kid ever, I am so thrilled in being able to truly enjoy travelling with someone who embodies a positive travel philosophy. Some of the best memories I've had during this trip was the simplicity of the shared experience.

I've traveled to many places with friends and family. During that time, I've taken a lot of notes about what works and what doesn't work. Those notes have prepared me for the day when I would find a good travel friend in Lizzie. Traveling with others really gives you a sense of what you do and do not want in an experience. Here are some of the little things I've learned along the way:

1) Research is awesome. A time table to help establish things is helpful. Sometimes things don't work out as planned and sometimes adjustments have to be made. Good research helps derail disappointment for things like operating hours.

2) It's okay to not spend every minute of every vacation day together. It's fun to experience different things then return with exciting stories to share. Lizzie and I each had a day to ourselves in London and Paris. For me, those 2 days made me feel nomandic and happy. I loved sharing my day with Lizzie and loved hearing about her day out!

3) Local food is amazing. Seek it out and get the true essence of the city you're visiting. Lizzie and I have enjoyed great meals in every city we've visited. Expand your taste buds!

4) Planning ahead with your entire group is a necessity. Don't waste a lot of time arguing in hotel rooms or stopped cars on where you're going/eating/visiting. Decent planning means that you have a lot of your bases covered and what people want and do not want during the trip!

5) GPS is awesome... but be prepared for the time that it stops wanting to give directions. Paper maps still work!

6) Where one traveler is weak, the other is strong. Embrace your knowledge and know when to concede to your travel friend for their knowledge.

7) (most important) Flexibility, flexibility, flexibility. Remember the trip isn't about only you. There are other people involved who are interested in other things! ;)  No trip is perfect, but the way you and your travel partners approach challenges can make or break a trip.

There isn't a day when I don't appreciate how lucky I am. I'm grateful for every second that I'm alive and living my life in the moment. Life IS a journey and I'm so fortunate to have good people around me.

Raise your glass, kiddies, to ADVENTURES!  :)

xoxoxoxo
Emma

No comments: