Tuesday, November 4, 2008

No on H8

I'm not one to vote and tell. If someone asks, then I'll share... but I don't go announcing how cool I am because I voted (though I do wear my sticker so others remember to vote). Today, a high school kid noticed my sticker and asked me if I voted for Obama. I said "Yes". When asked what I voted on Prop 8, I said "No".

My boss' friend was visiting her and overheard my conversation with the student. She audibly gasped then said "I don't mean to pass judgement or anything.. but you voted no?" My boss then said, "Well, it's too late for you to NOT pass judgement based on how you just gasped. "

I'm 99.9999% positive my boss voted yes on 8. It's her choice. It's a choice that doesn't change my opinion of her. I'm just happy she got out there and voted.

*on my soapbox*

Many years ago, my parents moved to America to give their children a better life. They wanted their children to have the freedom to make choices. My parents always told me how important voting was. It was a right that people fight about in other countries. They also said I should be proud of voting.

When I turned 18 in *cough*alongtimeago *cough* It was a presidential election year. I voted and was so excited! 2 years ago, when there was a smaller election, I had to take Scout with me to the polling place. When asked what I was doing, I told her I was voting and how wonderful it was. She's excited to vote too. I think when she turns 18, it will be a presidential year too and Scout can vote in her first election. :)

*off the soapbox*

Thing is, regardless of how I vote, this is my voice... and my choice. It's not always going to win, and it's not always going to lose, but it's something I take pride in. The lady, while nice, can suck it. I obvously know how she voted and she I, but the difference between us is that I am proud of my vote and I respect hers no matter what it is.

xoxo
Emma

No comments: